Thursday, August 21, 2008

Trip to Colorado [Part 2/3]

Royal George Bridge

We drove at early morning from the hotel after take a fatty food, made from cheese: Ukraine styles. It’s sweet, and so delicious…. That Slava was told me. The journey from our hotel took about 2 hours. We reached there at 10am. The sun already almost vertically on our head, but the weather is still nice at more than 12,000 feet above sea level. I took some UV protection on my face and hand since we are already at the high altitude and the weather is getting hot.

Awesome, beautiful, majestic scene! That the best words to describe the highest suspension bridge in the world and an unforgettable quarter-mile journey through the clouds of the Royal George Bridge in Colorado Spring. Historically, this place was a quarry activity to get the silver at the upper stream of Arkansas River in 1877 and has the railroad beside the river. That’s little bit history about this place that I can remembered. Otherwise, we can visit their website.

From engineering point of view, this bridge is impossible to build because it connected with two mountains across the deep river at more than 1km high. This bridge was built across the Arkansas River at 384m length, 5m width, and for walkway, it is screwed up with 1,292 planks of deck; about 250 are replaced annually. It’s very strong. Sometime the tram that bring people can go across over on this bridge too and I at the first time I have to hold at the side of the bridge! The bridge starts to shake a little. I feel dizzy when I looking down through two planks! Fuh… (gayat!) hehe

This is the best place to take a day vacation with family. Not so much that I can share about this place except the interesting place that I was visited at that day. The mains attractions is of course the Royal George Bridge, Aerial Tram, world's steepest Incline Railway, the world's scariest Sky coaster (I didn’t do this!), natural park, shows (gazebo, pavilion shows, plaza theater), shopping and food with BBQ deer meat and also outdoor activity i.e. white water rafting. I paid for 19buck for the fee and you can play anything that you want but not including the food and lodging cost. It will be my own expenses.

We started with the steepest incline railway brought us downward to the river. It was very fantastic experience and little bit different with railway in Langkawi, Malaysia that I took 5 years ago. I snap some photos of Slava and me with the view of along the river. I catch up the photos those who take white water rafting while they are shouting at the visitors. Slava and I miss the chances to take white water rafting since we little bit late arrive at the check point and have to wait for the next trips at 1.30pm. Furthermore, we did not bring our clothes. At this time, we are already plan to go back at Denver.

phonnn… phonn. phonnn.. Suddenly, we hear the echo sound: train’s bell. The echo sound created by the rocky mountains along the river. There was a mono train’s trail beside the river, brings the tourists to the panorama of the mountains along the river. After 15 minutes, we went to next location: the Aerial Tram. Again, I felt dizzy when I was in the tram. Damm….While the tram across the river at 4km/hr (consider slow!). We reached at the middle of the trail! Through the window, we can feel the wind blow at our face and make our tram shaky and unstable. There was one young girl shouting in the tram … may be she is scared!
Her mom tries to calm down her. Then when reach at the finish point, we take a walk little bit through the Pine tree. What the nice smell? Slava told me that the smell is come from Pine tree; make me feel fresh though. I also take a chance to see others wild life that I never seen before such as wild goat, deer, and white bison. I am really enjoy took a chance to brought some t-shirt of Colorado as well as Royal George Bridge cap. At least I got something to bring home!

After almost three hours we went back and take a short break having a lunch. I just have the big tuna sandwich together with the salad. Enough for me! Then we continue our tour to Garden of The Gods.

Cheer…
[Royal George Bridge; not so clear]

[Aerial Tram across the Arkansas River]

[ Who this guy?]

[Water clock: running by water]

[Shopping centre: to get some survenior]

[View of the rocky mountains]

[Arkansas River snapped from the bridge]

[Incline tram brought me to the river]

[Can you see who watching at me?]

[Railway to bring a tourist along the river]

[SAD... I miss white water rafting]

Cheer......







No comments: